Pulmonologists in Thornton, Colorado
The pulmonologists and respiratory specialists at North Suburban Medical Center in Thornton diagnose and treat a wide array of lung conditions in children and adults. From asthma treatment to emphysema care, our specialists can help improve your respiratory health.
For information about our pulmonary care services, please call (303) 920-4362.
The lung care team at North Suburban includes pulmonologists, thoracic surgeons, nurses and respiratory therapists who work together to provide comprehensive care from diagnosis and treatment, to follow-up care and support.
Respiratory conditions we treat
Our lung and respiratory team treats a wide range of conditions in adult and pediatric patients, including:
Pediatric pulmonary conditions:
- RSV (human respiratory syncytial virus)
Adult pulmonary conditions:
- Bronchitis (chronic and acute)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Interstitial lung disease (ILD, scarring of lung tissue)
- Pleural effusion
- Pulmonary edema
- Pulmonary embolism
- Pulmonary hypertension
Lung cancer screening
North Suburban’s Outpatient Imaging Center offers lung cancer screenings for patients at high-risk for developing the disease. Low-dose computed tomography (CT) screening has been shown to be successful in detecting lung cancer at an earlier stage when it can be more effectively treated.
You may be eligible for a lung cancer screening if you are between 55 and 80 years and have smoked at least 30-pack years, even if you have quit smoking during the past fifteen years. (Pack-years are calculated by multiplying the number of packs smoked per day by the number of years a person has smoked.) People with current symptoms of lung cancer are not eligible.
Patients can self-refer, but a physician order is necessary for the lung screening. You will be connected with a nurse navigator who will help obtain preauthorization for the screening from your insurance provider, as well as schedule the screening and communicate the results to you and your doctor.
If cancer is detected, rest assured that North Suburban is affiliated with some of the top oncology experts in the region through our connection with Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute, and we will refer patients for comprehensive cancer care.
To refer a patient to our lung cancer screening program, please call our nurse navigator team at (303) 453-2578.
North Suburban offers pulmonary rehabilitation as part of our comprehensive physical therapy and rehabilitation program.
Pulmonary rehab focuses on improving lung and respiratory function, and our multidisciplinary team works together to provide you with an effective rehabilitation care plan.
Patients can expect a combination of high- and low-intensity exercise, education on medications, oxygen therapy and healthy lifestyle tips and personalized support throughout the rehab regimen.
Benefits of pulmonary rehab include:
- Improvement in personal independence
- Improvement in ease of breathing
- Decrease in coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath
- Increase in energy, strength and endurance
- Increase in ability to participate in daily activities with decreased stress
- Reduction in hospital admissions and/or physician visits
To reach our pulmonary rehabilitation unit, please call (303) 450-3696.
Pulmonary rehab candidates
Pulmonary rehabilitation is prescribed for patients who have some form of pulmonary disease, such as:
- Chronic asthma
- Cystic fibrosis
- Lung cancer
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Or have recently undergone lung surgery
To qualify for our pulmonary rehabilitation program, patients must:
- Receive a recommendation from their doctor
- Have chronic, yet stable lung disease or conditions
- Complete a pulmonary function test
- Experience a shortness of breath with regular everyday activities
- Have expectations of measurable improvement
- Be physically able, motivated and willing to participate